Old 21-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default Natural Spring - How to use for irrigation?

Consider digging a big, deep hole, lining it with Visqueen except where the
water enters, placing a 12" PVC pipe in it vertically and then backfilling
with large stone. This would make a holding tank without the need to
actually purchase one. The 12" PVC would be sufficient to hold a sump pump
that could be used to drain the tank for irrigation.

Have you made sure that this isn't a failed septic line? I know it is a
rare possibility, but it just might be something other than a spring.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

"Robert Gray" wrote in message
. com...
Well,

I have finally got around to backfilling drainage pipes in the culverts of
my yard. In one part of the yard, there was always a soft spot. Turns out
that it is a natural spring, and it continues to bubble up through the new
fill.

It is close enough to a drain (20') that I think I can excavate the fill

and
put in a french drain to trap the water and direct it to the the drain
before it reaches the surface. Some landscape fabric, a truckload of

gravel,
some slotted drain pipe, and a day or so of digging, installing and
backfilling and it should work.

But, before I do that I thought I would check with others about the
possibility of using the water for irrigation. We have had some long hot
summers without much rain lately, and the spring is ideally located to
service an area (where I will plant grass and shrubs) that is far from the
water of the house. We do not have any other type of sprinkler systems (on

well), but this just might make sense.

I have ideas of burying a holding tank, directing the water into the tank,
and then pumping it out into a pressurized tank for the sprinkler lines.
But, I haven't done anything like this before and need some technical
references to see if it is viable.

Anyone have experience they would like to share?

Thanks,
Robert