Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default making a bark/gravel path

On May 5, 5:29*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Before I launch into attempting to turn the grass between my hedge and
flower bed into a path, I felt I ought to find out what more experienced
DIYers recommended!

The hedge is hawthorn and about 8 foot high, the gap between hedge and
bed is 5 foot wide and about 60 foot long, currently grass.

Could I put a weed suppressant blanket down on top of grass (killed or
not) and then shovel bark or gravel on top or have I got to dig out the
path etc etc?

Of course i am hoping it's a matter of killing off the grass and laying
the weed blanket on top It would be an awful lot to dig.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy

Creating any sort of all weather surface is hard work/expensive.

The weed blanket needs something on top, it will wear away get damaged
otherwise. Usually thinnish layer of gravel. Poor job and ineffective
when the material on top gets filled with fines.

To do a good job, remove topsoil, put down scalpings or similar.
Get in mini-excavator and and a dumper. You will need to find a place
to dump the soil.
The excavator/dumper will both excavate and fill the path.

If there' s not much traffic, just mow the grass.