Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default making a bark/gravel path

On 05/05/2012 17:29, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Before I launch into attempting to turn the grass between my hedge and
flower bed into a path, I felt I ought to find out what more experienced
DIYers recommended!

The hedge is hawthorn and about 8 foot high, the gap between hedge and
bed is 5 foot wide and about 60 foot long, currently grass.

Could I put a weed suppressant blanket down on top of grass (killed or
not) and then shovel bark or gravel on top or have I got to dig out the
path etc etc?

Don't use bark. The *&^!$* blackbirds will fling it everywhere in their
search for dinner! And, in any case, it will eventually break down and
turn into a (fairly) decent medium for growing weeds. Use gravel or
granite chippings.

--

Jeff