Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default making a bark/gravel path

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Before I launch into attempting to turn the grass between my hedge and
flower bed into a path, I felt I ought to find out what more experienced
DIYers recommended!

The hedge is hawthorn and about 8 foot high, the gap between hedge and bed
is 5 foot wide and about 60 foot long, currently grass.

Could I put a weed suppressant blanket down on top of grass (killed or
not) and then shovel bark or gravel on top or have I got to dig out the
path etc etc?

Of course i am hoping it's a matter of killing off the grass and laying
the weed blanket on top It would be an awful lot to dig.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy

If it were me I would roll out the Membrane, use tanalised roof battens to
form the edges and fill in with a course Bark. (use short lengths of batten
as pegs to hold everthing in place)

I would not use chippings or gravel as weeds will be worse and it causes
problems when collecting hedge cuttings for shredding. Bark has the
advantage that should you want to move or alter things it is a lot easier to
lose than stones!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs