Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default making a bark/gravel path

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Or, to step back a bit, why do you want to replace the grass with
something that is likely to require more maintenance?

Because I could go down to the middle of the garden with slightly
drier feet than i do now

I usually go down the middle of the lawn but a drier surface like
chipping would help.

Grrk. The problem about that is that it collects leaves, which
absorb water and turn into sticky humus. Generally, drier means
better drained, which means raised, so you might be better off
just laying some sharp sand on top, and growing a slightly raised,
well-drained grass path. I have not done that, but it has the
right feel.

My path is 3'x2' paving slabs, which are a bit of a b*gg*r to
lay, and still aren't perfectly dry where the moss grows or they
are no higher than the surrounding area. But they do work best.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.