Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Interesting site.

"echinosum" wrote

Bob Hobden Wrote:
For those interested in growing chillis.... Has a link to at least one
seed
supplier I didn't know.

'http://cliftonchilliclub.co.uk/' (http://www.cliftonchilliclub.co.uk/)

I just don't find ridiculously hot chillies interesting, but that seems
to be what they are mainly interested in.

I grew Alberto's Rocoto last year, which did very well. Big fleshy
chillies, very tasty and hot rather than ridiculously hot. Rocotos are
supposed to be difficult to germinate, but I didn't find it so, in fact
as easy as any. And they ripened in good time despite last year's
allegedly poor summer. (And I'll have to make a lot more chilli and
apple jam this year, because my friends all love it.) And being a C
pubescens you can save the seed without any precautions and it comes
true, because it doesn't cross pollinate with other species. So I kept
some seed, and have got lots this year. Do me nicely.

We don't like the stupid hot ones either, they also take ages to fruit so
you do need a sunny greenhouse.
We grow Thai Dragon (hot) and Inferno (mild) out on our plot and always have
too many for us so the neighbours (the Asian ones) get bags of them. Trouble
is it is getting more difficult to get seeds of Thai Dragon despite it being
a very reliable cropper grown outdoors in the ground. T & M used to sell it
and the fruit always hung downwards, they stopped selling it and the last
lot we bought was from Nicky's Seeds, they were good and tasted the same but
the fruit all pointed upwards which is strange.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.