Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default morel farming (was: Edible or not?

"songbird" wrote in message
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
In another newsgroup, this would be called a 'Gloat' -- and my
response would be "You suck".g

Sure look like morels from here. I had some in my yard *once* 20
yrs ago. Best mushrooms ever-- And they never returned.

Cut the stems, don't pluck them. Dry them, fry them, enjoy them.

take a few and soak them in cool water overnight.

go out and dig a trench off to the side someplace
you don't mind not mowing for a bit if mushrooms
appear.

take some fruitwood sprinkle it with the water
you've soaked morels in. bury. wait. hope.

my bro hunts morels in the woods, takes his water
from cleaning them and dumps it outside. now has
morels in his yard.

i took some water from morels and dumped it out
here in several locations last year, but i suspect
it will take more than one year for the fungal mass
to be large enough to fruit. if it actually does
something that would be great...

songbird

It is thought that at least some morels are mycoryzal, so pour your cleaning
water near trees they associate with. Here in the Southern Appalachians
those trees are tulip poplar, ash and apple. We don't have elms here, but
morels are known to associate with same. There has been some success
cultivating black morels on the west coast in Douglas fir chips.