Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tiny grape sized oranges

In article , wrote:
John Black wrote:
what i would like to know is how to propogate these, or even if it can be
done in foreign climes.

I am not an expert, but I was under the impression citrus couldn't be grown
true to type from a seed and had to be grafted onto rootstock. We have had
kumquat trees in the past (bought from nurseries), but they have rarely
lasted more than a year, when most of our other citrus survive longer. I
would suggest that they are a bit more delicate than lemons (which are
relatively easy to grow here, if you can bring them in out of the cold)

Like all such statements, it's not that simple. That is true for
the fancy varieties, but the main groupings are preserved in the
seedlings. I have a kaffir lime that I grew from seed, which has
never flowered, but is unquestionably a kaffir lime.

You are unquestionably right that citrus vary considerably in how
well they grow in the UK, but I wouldn't bet on ANY fruiting
unless they are varieties specially bred to do so under our
conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.