Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer has rooted through it's pot!

On 05/06/2012 01:43 AM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I'd lift them with a spade and see how much root is through the pot.
If the pots are cheap plastic then I'd break them off the root ball
(the pots that is) and repot the acers, you could cut out any thick
roots that had grown through but leave the small fiberous ones, do so
ASAP.

Yes I'd do same, if it's a clay pot you can then break it to get to the
plant. I don't think I'd risk cutting off a LOT of root!

It was better advice than I gave, somehow a spade never occurred. :/

Still, you really don't need to worry about cutting off a lot of root,
unless it's really large. They don't seem to mind.