Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_3_] Pete C[_3_] is offline

Default Pruning a mature horse chestnut

"James Hunt" wrote in message
A mature horse chestnut about 20m high lies between my neighbours and
my garden, splitting our boundary fence.

He wants it cut down so he gets more sun in his garden, we want it
left as is - we've compromised on pruning the top 30% and removing as
much as possible from their side of the tree, sharing the costs.

We've been emphatic throughout that we want the work done properly to
ensure the best chance that the tree survives the work.
snippy

My local Council prune/pollard trees here between Jan and March. I've
watched them work and chatted to the men who are all extremely competent. I
wouldn't touch the tree until at least the autumn. You need to employ a
fully qualified aborealist.....below from an advert..

a.. Public liability/ Professional indemnity insurance
a.. Professionally & NPTC qualified
a.. Works conform to BS 3998 & BS 5837

I hope you can persuade your neighbour to behave responsibly

Pete C