Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Tiny grape sized oranges

wrote:
Like all such statements, it's not that simple. That is true for
the fancy varieties, but the main groupings are preserved in the
seedlings. I have a kaffir lime that I grew from seed, which has
never flowered, but is unquestionably a kaffir lime.

Actually, yes, the lady in the nursery who was lecturing me about my
seed-grown trees did emphasis that I was never likely to get it to
flower. She didn't expand on why.

You are unquestionably right that citrus vary considerably in how
well they grow in the UK, but I wouldn't bet on ANY fruiting
unless they are varieties specially bred to do so under our
conditions.

We have a large 'tangerine' (that's all it's marked as, no idea what
variety) which was in flower when bought, and has produced flowers
since. We had a kaffir lime also bought in flower, which fruited
twice (then i think Nick killed it). The kumquats also fruited
until Nick added them to his list of deceased plants.