Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning a mature horse chestnut

On 05/08/2012 01:03 PM, Sacha wrote:
Times to avoid: early spring to mid-summer; late summer to mid-winter.
Times it would be best: mid-winter to very early spring; mid-June to
mid-July

Just before that he says "Pruning after mid-summer would be ok but it
may be better to wait until the end of the winter."

What would be wrong with pruning after leaf fall, I wonder? The wood
has ripened, and there's no growth going on obviously.

The trouble with waiting until "mid-winter" is knowing when the sap has
started to run. During a very mild winter, the sap can be going pretty
strong even just after Christmas. For this reason I make sure all maple
pruning is done before Christmas. If you get it wrong they will bleed
for many days. I imagine horse chestnut is the same.

I certainly agree with pruning after the first growth period but before
the second.

Just wondering...