Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Pruning a mature horse chestnut

On Monday, 7 May 2012 17:00:39 UTC+1, Sacha wrote:

I would certainly check there isn't a TPO on the tree but if there
isn't, the enquiry may result in one being slapped on it, so you have
to be aware of that! It is the wrong time of year to be pruning or
cutting back but apart from that, your neighbour and this tree man
should be thinking of birds that may be nesting in it. In your
situation, I would insist on a proper tree surgeon. I have a nasty
feeling this is going to look a mess if it's not done properly because
you're dealing with a mature tree. Anyone wielding a chainsaw can have
a card printed suggesting they do such work but not everyone can do it
well. It takes an hour to wreck a tree which won't recover and decades
for one to grow. Insist on a tree surgeon who is properly trained. If
this man says he can do it next week I wouldn't employ him.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I wonder if a TPO might help the O/P?
I think work like crown reduction may be allowed on TPO'd trees under certain conditions. In such a case the powers that be would absolutely insist on qualified, approved operators.

Rod