Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Plant ID

On 09/05/2012 13:36, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

Red valerian, centranthus ruber is even more of a thug but I let a fair
amount of it grow because of the butterflies its flowers bring in.

I love valerian and would welcome that thug, but for some reason it just
won't grow here (mild, wet, coastal). Maybe too acid.

Fascinating. It is always a surprise to me how plants which are noxious
weeds for some can be hard to grow elsewhere.

I have heucheras growing as volunteer seedlings all over on heavy clay
too. For some reason they grow easily for me but not for my neighbours.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

I'd suggest you try a pot with some spent JI No3 or last years tomato
compost in it. I have them growing out of the garden walls which isn't
good as it breaks up the mortar as the root gets thicker. But they bring
in hummingbird hawkmoths and lots of other butterflies with their
enormous number of tiny pink flowers on large heads. Can't fault it for
floriferousness either - they flower from now on with a bit of dead
heading (essential to avoid being overrun) until the frosts get it.

At the moment our apple trees are in full blossom and look fabulous.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown