Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default heap

On 10/05/2012 08:29, wrote:
In ,
Christina wrote:
Well I had hoped that it would rot down, when the digger made a heap of it,
but now it's just a huge amount of couch grass growing again in a 3 ft high
heapsigh
I guess growing courgettes in it are out of the plan now.

Not entirely. Spray it with dilute glyphosate (use the low end of
the recommendations), wait a week, and then plant them. Couch is
very sensitive to glyphosate.

I agree. Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate and this is by far
the simplest and most environmentally friendly way to quickly stop it
from regrowing. But it is against some people's religion.

The organic(TM) alternative would be to cover it with black plastic or
carpet. This is only organic after a fashion - plasticisers will leach
out from it into the ground but they are apparently not "chemicals".

It will take ages to expire this way. A hot compost heap will kill it
but I tend to throw any couch grass into the adjacent field instead.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown