Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default heap

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in :

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:
Well I had hoped that it would rot down, when the digger made a heap
of it, but now it's just a huge amount of couch grass growing again in
a 3 ft high heapsigh
I guess growing courgettes in it are out of the plan now.

Not entirely. Spray it with dilute glyphosate (use the low end of
the recommendations), wait a week, and then plant them. Couch is
very sensitive to glyphosate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Too much expense and effort IMO.
Get some old carpet and cover your intended couurgette bit of the heap and
make a few 7.5cm (3-4") holes using a stanley knife or similar at the
distance apart you need. Then plant them. Of course you can never get old
bits of carpet whan you need them! But that WILL do the job.
Nuke the rest with Glyphosate or, even better, cover with heavy black
polythene until next year when hopefully no weed is present. Seed?
Give it a go for parts and see.

Oh, and as a precaution slug treatment could be used, though I have never
needed it, I hear slugs can be a bloody nuisance.

Good luck.
Baz

I might go the carpet route. There is a carpet company not far from my
allotment, I am sure when they fit new carpets they take the old ones away
and would have to pay to dump them.

It's a long heap so I could help them out with a few carpets, if I asked
nicely they might even deliver them (she says hopefully..)

Tina