Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default heap

Christina Websell wrote:
I have no experience with courgettes. I tried them once (not where I am
planning to have them now) and the slugs got them.

My first ever attempt when I lived in Newcastle was a failure, which was a bit
disappointing after reading everyone's accounts of having more courgettes than
they could ever possibly eat.

So, if I inserted a bit of chicken manure into the bottom of the hole that I
plant them in (having started them at my house) do you think they would do
OK?

I am about 90% certain you will do fine. Given the weather, you want to make
sure you have them big enough that they'll handle a bit of cold and a few
snails, though. I've lost mine in the past to snails nipping off the growing
end before they were big enough to survive that. Although if you /do/ get a
partial or full break, you can sometimes rescue by burying the nibbled or
broken bit and it re-roots. Not a guarantee, though.

Mine are currently in the greenhouse getting bigger before I am going to even
consider putting them out. I think next bank holiday is going to be the day
for sweetcorn, courgette, butternut and maybe sweet potatoes going out.

Oh, btw - what variety are you going with? If you want a near-guaranteed
success, get Green Bush. The others all sound so much more exciting, but I
have found that they are very hit and miss, but the green bush ones will just
keep going until first frost. Cut them small and they will just keep coming.
(watch out for accidentally missing one and it grows into a giant, which
will slow down production of new ones)

The main veggie beds show no sign of slugs or snails as there is a huge
expanse of bare soil around them so nowhere to hide.
It would be a brave slug or snail that attempted the journey to my lettuces
(famous last words)

*says nothing*