Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mangetout+pea woes

On 11/05/2012 11:00, wrote:
To add my grumble to the sweetcorn thread, some little bugger has been into the
greenhouse and munched right along the row of stupidly expensive purple mangetout
and nipped them all off at the base of the shoot. :'(
(Why do these things never eat the cheap ones!)
I'm guessing a mouse, although I did find a snail on an upper shelf, but no
snailtrail around the pea area. (Whatever it is has also had a bit of a go at
some of the others, I think. Or else was just careless with the remains and
they are scattered on the other half-pipes. But nearly all my Shiraz mangetout
are goners)

Something has eaten through the stem of several of my tomato seedlings,
and it's almost certainly a snail. The the smooth crescent shape of the
"cut" always suggest to me something which does not have teeth, but
rasps the material away. With your damage, was there anything left on
the root side of the shoots? (in other words, was the offending beastie
after the seed/pea the seedling grew from?)

--

Jeff