Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
To add my grumble to the sweetcorn thread, some little bugger has been into the
greenhouse and munched right along the row of stupidly expensive purple mangetout
and nipped them all off at the base of the shoot. :'(
(Why do these things never eat the cheap ones!)
I'm guessing a mouse, although I did find a snail on an upper shelf, but no
snailtrail around the pea area. (Whatever it is has also had a bit of a go at
some of the others, I think. Or else was just careless with the remains and
they are scattered on the other half-pipes. But nearly all my Shiraz mangetout
are goners)

--
Eating through the base of the stem is typical of snail/slug damage on beans/peas. (They gnaw through where the stem emerges from the soil until the shoot topples, then they lose interest and move to the next one) It tends to be the small ones, and you won't find slime trails. Try lifting pots - they don't go far away during the day and you may find a slug tucked underneath one of the pots.