Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Edible or not?

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
David Farber said:

I finally found an expert. He came by the house and inspected them. After
giving me a thorough disclaimer about following his expert advice, he
consulted two reference books (both written by David Arora) and said they
were edible mushrooms. We went around and picked quite a few and he
explained the differences between the dry ones (they need to be soaked
first) and the fresher, moist ones. He said to cook and eat a small amount
to begin with and make sure that there were no food allergy reactions. If
everything was ok after that, then they could be seasoned to our liking.
He
also said never eat them without cooking them first.

Good news all around. Even an expert consulted a reference or two first,
eh?

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there
are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

I totally agree, but the morel is the first mushroom we teach children. It's
a shame I couldn't teach the "children" here.