Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

J Arthur Bowers Peat free is the most consistent of the Peat Free composts
but we get good results on the nursery using a mix of Peat free and soil,
both from Wicks! 1 bag of each mixed together. Never tried B&Q but all these
sheds (Wicks included do not make compost so are reliant on who they get it
from whereas the branded named composts at least have some quality control
but are usually much more expensive, I still use Levingtons for seeds
because I want to be sure its ok as some of the seed is not replaceable, but
once the plants are growing well I am happy to use the cheaper composts

I have given up on peat-free lightweight composts, as being disaster
areas, and had good results for my seeds this year with a nominally
JI seed compost. My potting compost is 50:50 garden compost and
soil, but you need the right soil (mine is 60% sand and 22% clay,
so ideal for that).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.