Old 13-05-2012, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vinegar as weedkiller

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2012 09:49:32 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Conditions are obviously different in Ontario, Canada, where
(1) The growing season is only 8 or 9 months per year,
(2) Glyphosate has been removed from the retail market, but
household vinegar (5% acetic acid) is an effective weed killer
on our gravel driveway.

The Dutch were in the process of banning the use of Glyphosate by
private users. The legislation was delayed because the definition of
private user was inadequate. In the meant time the coalition
collapsed. It is odd legislation because if anybody is in contact with
enough Glyphosate to cause health problems it is more likely to be
commercial users.

That happened with benomyl, which is teratogenic, with tragic
results to a few young women who worked in the humid tunnels
used commercially, which used the stuff excessively. So the
UK banned it for private use only, while keeping the reason
secret.

I assert that, as a 64 year old male, I am unlikely to give
birth and therefore am not at risk. No matter - I am protected,
but the young women who were tragically affected are not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.