Old 13-05-2012, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Compost

In article ,
Judith wrote:

Previous years I had bought B&Q compost ...
This year they have changed the compost - and it is appalling. The bag I
bought was full of bits of wood - some bits of polythene and also white mould
on some of the wood.

I have just tried an Aldi bag - and it is much the same (but cheaper). It
even had a section of an old green plastic plant tie in it. ...

I guess this all comes about by local authorities making "compost" from the
recyclable rubbish. ...

Well it's not "rubbish" is it? It's recyclable garden waste. The
problem of plastic comes from lazy buggers chucking their rubbish (bags,
pots, etc) in with their recyclable garden waste: it is just about
impossible for the compost processing people to "weed out" the rubbish.

What if someone had put some old plant material which had been treated with
weed-killer in their recyclable refuse?

Interesting question -- I always thought that the temperatures generated
in the "council"[1] heaps is so great that nothing (but plastic and
metal) survives.

John

[1] It's not actually "the council", is it? It's their sub-contractors,
on a nice little earner!