Old 14-05-2012, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default any experience with Concord, Reliance, Lakemont grape varieties?

I found a Concord seedless grape at the local Lowe's, which fit in to
my late grape harvest. I was still looking for a red and white variety,
hopefully mid and early to help spread around the fresh eating grape
availability.

I ended up going with Reliance (red) and Lakemont (white). Concord
supposedly has 115 days to harvest, Lakemont 80 days, and Reliance is
supposed to be a mid season, but don't know exactly how many days.

Anyone have any experience with these, or have any suggestions? I'm
growing grapes for the first time, after having a failure of the entire
row of blueberries I planted. This is the second time I've had
blueberries completely fail, despite using soil acidifiers. I'm never
trying them again unless I do a midget variety in a wooden planter or pot.

I've talked to a number of folks who seem to have a grape harvest
every year, and some of them say they haven't done anything other than
prune them back once in a while.