Old 13-05-2012, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Compost

On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:27:31 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2012 06:37:21 +0000, kay
wrote:

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;958550']
J Arthur Bowers Peat free is the most consistent of the Peat Free
composts
but we get good results on the nursery using a mix of Peat free and
soil,
both from Wicks!

J Arthurs Bowers peat free is the New Horizon mentioned below. This year
Which? is saying it gave them the best test results, not just among peat
free, but compared with peat containing composts too.

I use New Horizon for general purpose, I use their seed compost for
seeds, and I us New Horizon with sand or grit for cacti.

What really annoys me is the compaction of compost bags when piled up
in garden centres. I won't buy one now which is pressed like a brick.
If it's compacted it's such a menace to get friable again.

Pam in Bristol

The pile in garden centres is probably straight off the pallet they
were delivered on - the compaction is from producer!

I've mentioned before the tool I use to "grind down" my home compost -
http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/Gard...eve_571426.htm
which also does a good job, with minimal effort, of loosening any pack
of compost you like. Just place it in a wheelbarrow, tip stuff into it
and a few turns of the handle and problem sorted.

I paid a lot less than this for mine (allowing for inflation) and when
I've posted about it in the past others have followed up with a
cheaper source.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.