Old 14-05-2012, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Vinegar as weedkiller

On 13/05/2012 14:49, Don Phillipson wrote:
"Martin wrote in message

I've got a couple of pints of elderly pickling vinegar in the shed. When
the weather clears, I'll brush them on. Anyone tried it as a weedkiller?
Bertie

This particular piece of kitchen sink chemistry is harmless and won't get
you into serious trouble, nor will it kill many weeds. You would probably
get better results clubbing them to death with the bottle!

It will work after a fashion, but you would be a lot better off using a
proper chemical like glyphosate that was intended to to kill plants.

Conditions are obviously different in Ontario, Canada, where
(1) The growing season is only 8 or 9 months per year,
(2) Glyphosate has been removed from the retail market, but

That is complete madness.

Of all the available weedkillers today glyphosate is about the least
dangerous to handle that there is. The wetting agents used in the
commercial formulations are more dangerous than the active ingredient.

household vinegar (5% acetic acid) is an effective weed killer
on our gravel driveway.

I find that very hard to believe. On limestone gravel it will be
netralised on contact.
It might just about work on a good day in full sun on particularly
feeble weeds.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown