Old 14-05-2012, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default heap

On Thu, 10 May 2012 22:18:36 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Well I had hoped that it would rot down, when the digger made a heap of
it,
but now it's just a huge amount of couch grass growing again in a 3 ft
high
heapsigh
I guess growing courgettes in it are out of the plan now.

Not necessarily. courgettes are very hard to kill, I wouldn't have
thought the couch grass would do them much harm. They may even shade
it over enough to kill it off a bit

I'd sort of hoped it would turn into a gigantic compost heap but
realistically, it's been too cold and wet.

How long has it been there?

My massive heap of couch grass and weeds is now lovely soil. The end
I've started excavating is just about a year old.
The other half has lots of things growing in it (jack by the hedge
which smells lovely and garlicy) .. so I covered it in a pile of grass
clippings I got.

I have no experience with courgettes. I tried them once (not where I am
planning to have them now) and the slugs got them.
So, if I inserted a bit of chicken manure into the bottom of the hole that I
plant them in (having started them at my house) do you think they would do
OK?
The main veggie beds show no sign of slugs or snails as there is a huge
expanse of bare soil around them so nowhere to hide.
It would be a brave slug or snail that attempted the journey to my lettuces
(famous last words)

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk