Old 14-05-2012, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default heap

On 14/05/2012 13:26, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

Tina said

I'd sort of hoped it would turn into a gigantic compost heap but
realistically, it's been too cold and wet.

mogg said
How long has it been there?

don't know abotu tina's, but /my/ weed compost heap is now growing buttercups out
of it. :-(

Isn't it contained/covered in any way? If I didn't contain and cover
mine they would be so cool they'd take years to become usable compost.
Rain and wind are both cooling. Light encourages weeds to grow.

Tina's idea that a springtime naked heap of earth and newly dug couch
grass would "become compost" was unrealistic; couch regenerates rapidly
from its roots/stolons. If one wanted to farm couch grass on an
industrial scale, piling it into an uncovered heap in spring, with loose
soil and gentle rain, would work fine.

I find overlooking a small piece to be an effective way of farming the
stuff at this time of year. A hot heap will kill it but nothing less!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown