Old 14-05-2012, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default heap

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Tina's idea that a springtime naked heap of earth and newly dug couch
grass would "become compost" was unrealistic; couch regenerates rapidly
from its roots/stolons. If one wanted to farm couch grass on an
industrial scale, piling it into an uncovered heap in spring, with loose
soil and gentle rain, would work fine.

I find overlooking a small piece to be an effective way of farming the
stuff at this time of year. A hot heap will kill it but nothing less!

My cold heap kills it. The key is that it ends up under a depth of
actively rotting material, and its young leaves are as subject to
bacterial attack as anything else. I occasionally have to remove
couch that was in the top 6" when I stop building at about 4'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.