Old 14-05-2012, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frosted tomato plants

In article ,
Frank wrote:

Err, outdoor tomatoes don't go outside until all chance of frost is passed,
after Chelsea say, first week in June in most places including here.

See the Climate FAQ - wait for the arrival of the flying pigs!
You simply have to take a risk, even in the south, because there
is a significant chance even in late June, and all year in the
north.

Yes, but you don't need temperatures to be freezing to cause problems
for toms. At the moment in the SE it's barely getting above 50°F in the
day. and that's been the case for most of the past few weeks. That's not
warm enough to be on the safe side.

That merely means that you have to wait until the unicorns have
arrived, too. My point was that there IS no safe date.

Normally at this time of year I'd
have expected to see temperatures near 60\xb0F by now in the south.

I wouldn't, but you may have been fooled by the fact that we have
had a decade or two of early springs. Many decades ago, long before
I wrote the Climate FAQ and even before Usenet, I used to ask a
trick question: if you are in the UK, and it is 50 Fahrenheit and
overcast, what time of year is it? The answer is that it can be
any time, in any location, though it is relatively unlikely in the
south in summer and fairly rare in the north in winter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.