Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Mangetout+pea woes

On May 11, 12:33*pm, wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Something has eaten through the stem of several of my tomato seedlings,
and it's almost certainly a snail. *The the smooth crescent shape of the
"cut" always suggest to me something which does not have teeth, but
rasps the material away. *With your damage, was there anything left on
the root side of the shoots? (in other words, was the offending beastie
after the seed/pea the seedling grew from?)

I was in a bit of a hurry, and definitely in a huff, so I didn't stop to
examine fair - I did try shoving a few of the stems back in in the vain
hope they may re-root, but ... *Yes, I think there were kind of 'dug up'
bits, so I'm assuming it was a mouse after the pea. *Probably came through
the vent, which is low and open to keep the place ventilated, but not as
windy as leaving the window open makes it. *Ho hum.

I find that with field mice they cut of loads and drag it to somewhere
safe to store it.