Old 15-05-2012, 04:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default heap

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 14/05/2012 13:26, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

Tina said

I'd sort of hoped it would turn into a gigantic compost heap but
realistically, it's been too cold and wet.

mogg said
How long has it been there?

don't know abotu tina's, but /my/ weed compost heap is now growing
buttercups out
of it. :-(

Isn't it contained/covered in any way? If I didn't contain and cover
mine they would be so cool they'd take years to become usable compost.
Rain and wind are both cooling. Light encourages weeds to grow.

Tina's idea that a springtime naked heap of earth and newly dug couch
grass would "become compost" was unrealistic; couch regenerates rapidly
from its roots/stolons. If one wanted to farm couch grass on an
industrial scale, piling it into an uncovered heap in spring, with loose
soil and gentle rain, would work fine.

Ain't that just the truth. I now have a hundred long yard heap of couch
grass.

I find overlooking a small piece to be an effective way of farming the

stuff at this time of year. A hot heap will kill it but nothing less!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown