Old 15-05-2012, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default help needed earthing up first early spuds

On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:32:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

After the rain and floods most of my potatoes are putting out new green
growth.
The problem is that although the rows were planted 18" apart they are
growing into the 18" space and the potato patch looks like one cotinuous
mass of potato foliage.... and masses of weed. I have taken the dandelion
and their roots out as much as possible. The rest of the weeds are just
impossible without treading on potato plants.

What to do with the rest of the weeds? Will they die when the potato
foliage grows even more?

Should I sacrifice some growth and earth them up?

Thanks.
Baz

Got any grass clippings or straw?
--