Old 15-05-2012, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig and frost

In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:

This year has been tough on our fig, and I suspect that it is not
going to sprout well - it looks as if a few weedy tip shoots may
break into leaf, but not much else. My inclination is that, if
it does that, to cut those back, and force it to regrow from old
wood.

Has anyone experience with figs and late frosts, and does that
make sense?

One thing - on our Brown Turkey the figs are on the tips, so if you cut
these back you may lose all this year's fruit.

Thanks, but ... :-(

We are FAR too cold for overwintering fruit! I agree that figs
develop mainly on the previous year's wood, and rarely on new
shoots, but there aren't going to be many of those.

Ours has just started puttting out leaves, and although we haven't had a
late frost it has in the past been frost hardy.

Cambridge is normally colder than that, and was this year. Even
figs in warmer gardens haven't started leaves yet.

Yours may just be a late starter this year because of the continuing cold
weather.

Er, no, sorry. It is pretty clear that the fairly hard and late
frosts have killed most of the younger growth. I did mean a FEW
weedy tip shoots!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.