Old 16-05-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Help pls for an ageing man

On 16/05/2012 08:06, Emery Davis wrote:
On 05/15/2012 07:35 PM, Moonraker wrote:
I'm getting old father time, I'm getting old. I am finding it harder
each year to cut my large grass area, I cannot honour it with describing
it as a lawn. The mower I have is petrol driven, but the problem is when
I have to turn it for the next bit. It seems as though a sit on mower is
the answer, I am looking for recommendations for one which is relatively
small and has a small turning circle. I am sold on Briggs and Stratton
engines, though not essential. All recommendations will be gratefully
received.

The size of your lawn will determine the engine size you need. Many
brands (most?) have B&H engines, and many are just brand tagged coming
out of the same factory (Castel, Jardi, Bestgreen etc). Get rear
ejection otherwise you won't be able to collect unless the grass is
completely dry. Hydrostatic transmission is not necessarily an
advantage on long lines because you need to keep your foot on the pedal
all the time. Avoid gimmicks like power deck height adjustment etc
(Countax for example is very guilty of all this junk).

If you're able to mow often enough you could get a "mulching" mower, but
you really can't have more than a couple cm of grass length.

Here are some B&H models branded Castel:

http://www.mowermart.co.uk/shop/Ride...-p-1-c-48.html

-E

I've just been out and measured it using a GPS, that tells me it is a
little under 450 sq meters.