Old 16-05-2012, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig and frost

In article ,
kay wrote:

One thing - on our Brown Turkey the figs are on the tips, so if you cut

these back you may lose all this year's fruit.-

Thanks, but ... :-(

We are FAR too cold for overwintering fruit!

So are we - but this year's figs are already visible as lentil sized
buds before the leaves appear. These are the ones you will lose by
pruning.

That typically doesn't happen here, because it is too cold. Those
(obviously) have to form at the same time or earlier than the leaf
buds, and we have had a couple of quite hard frosts recently.

One of our figs is just thinking about uncurling its leaves, the other
hasn't started yet.

That is a LONG way ahead of here! It hasn't even started forming
buds - the only ones visible are those that overwintered, and I
don't know if any will burst.

The point is that we have a cold garden. The fig was my wife's
choice, and has never done much. There is only one warm spot,
and it absolutely cannot go there (drains etc.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.