Old 16-05-2012, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Rhubarb

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:45:58 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

:
Yes thats the sort, I cut the sugar down to just about half a desert
spoon when I add the jelly.
I have done that mix with Birds custard, but never had a name for it.
Another one I havn't tried,
Years ago I was told by an old lady who had been a nanny during the
first world war. She used to cut rhubarb into 2 inch lengths; if thick
then she would split it in half; she would then dip it into a sweet
batter and deep fry it for the children.
David @ the sunny but still damp end of Swansea Bay

Oh that sounds delicious.

I made a (powdered) custard fool with the rhubarb recently.
Works for me.

I love it.

I'm just thinking about whether it'd work with bread and butter as a
pudding ...
I made one with jam sandwiches recently and it was delicious.
Which reminds me I have a jar of orange and rhubarb jam in the
cupboard!

Go and have a look at the various things used as food/puddings/fillers
during the Second World War. I will be doing an illustrated talk to a WI
Meeting next month and the things I came up with surprised me, even though I
lived through WWII. The whole theme of the evening is going to be ""Food
Rationing during World War II"" and some, with hope most, are turning up in
1940's gear. In an email to the Secretary today, I have suggested the 'Gravy
Browning stockings with Eye Liner seams'. Many of you haven't had it bad
enough to realise what that means.

Kind regards

Mike

Thanks I will do!

I've read about gravy browning legs and eye liner seams - Not tried it
though!

Reminds me of a joke I heard yesterday - seams straight but legs wonky
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk