Old 16-05-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fig and frost

In article , wrote:

That is a LONG way ahead of here! It hasn't even started forming
buds - the only ones visible are those that overwintered, and I
don't know if any will burst.

The point is that we have a cold garden. The fig was my wife's
choice, and has never done much. There is only one warm spot,
and it absolutely cannot go there (drains etc.)

Is your fig, by any chance, not a UK-designed one such as brown
turkey? ok, I have a south facing garden, and the fig is near
the house, but ... you're only 20 or so miles up the M11! It
can't be /that/ different climate to me!
(I had a 10 minute warning about the hailstorm yesterday)

It's a Brown Turkey. As I said, it's a cold garden, though I am
not entirely sure why, but I have observed that in many plants.
They are generally a week or so later than the area, and often
rather more affected by frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.