Old 16-05-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default The bugs that bite in the spring, tra-la

In article ,
lid says...

On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:32:11 +0000, echinosum
wrote:

I'm pretty clear that this is not a bedbug. The most clear reason for
this is that it is laterally flattened, like a flea, whereas a bed bug,
so far as I can find out, is flattened topically. Also it is very dark,
pretty nearly black, though very dark brown on closer examination, and
shiny, whereas bedbugs, especially younger ones, tend to light brown. It
clearly isn't a flea, as it walked over me with the locomotion similar
to that of a beetle, and it had a pointy end at the back.

The locomotion you mention could well be a flea - it's a fallacy that
they just hop about; they will only hop if disturbed. Most of the time
they just happily run along.

I agree; I more often spot one crawling than jumping, and "shiny" also
matches flea. On humans, flea bites are quite distinctive (round and
bright red). Fleas are smaller than bedbugs.

Bedbug shape and size varies with age (scroll down to see chart
http://www.bedbugstreatmentmethods.co.uk/). I have only encountered them
once and iirc the bites were much more raised and itched a lot more than
fleabites.(good pics on the site above)

Janet