Old 17-05-2012, 11:37 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I've always thought that alpines were fairly drought resistant. I have 4
of these growing in a container, in a 50/60 mixture of sand and
uni-compost. But despite being exposed to rain, I've noticed after a few
dry days that a couple of them begin to wilt notably a Helianthemum and
a Mazus Rwptans. The other 2 alpines are unaffected. I've watered since
and the 2 wilted plants soon perked up. But I'm surprised they wilted so
easily.
If you think of alpines in the terms of plants growing in mountainous regions, I would have thought that they would be used to high levels of rainfall (as rainfall is high at high altitude), in other words, they require good drainage, but need a frequent water supply.

Equally, plants that *do* grow in dry regions and have fleshy leaves to store water also often supplement this by deep roots, so you can't assume that something that grows in dry areas copes with a shortage of water - it may merely be that it grows its roots to where there is water, and if you have it in a shallow pot or trough where it can't do this, you have to make sure that
the trough always has enough water.