Old 17-05-2012, 07:42 PM
snowathlete snowathlete is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
snowathlete wrote:
I have a border in my garden with lots of rhodedendrons and azaleas. I
have ill health now so i need to make the garden easier to maintain.
There are lots of weeds at the moment, which i plan to have removed.
Then some weed control fabric and stone chippings.
Cotswold stone chippings would be great, but probably would affect the
ph too much. Is that right?

If it is, then what alternatives do i have? Are there most neutral or
acid stones out there?

I dont really want to use bark or wood chippings because i dont like
the look really.

thanks
joel

It would take a *very* long time as limestone is only slightly soluble and
in the form of chips there is little surface area so the process will be
slowed down. For agricultural use it is ground very fine, that is the
surface area is millions of times more per kilo, and even then it takes
months to start to work. I am not in a position to work the numbers but my
guess is that if you lived to 100 the pH wouldn't change much if at all.
The breakdown of organics that produce acids might be enough to counteract
the effect and so there would be even less change or none.

Most stone is neutral for gardening purposes, limestone being an exception,
ask your landscape supplier what they have.

David

Thank you everyone for your replies so far; very helpful.
Cotswold stone would be best for two reasons, 1. my local garden centre have BOGOF on £5 a back, which is a pretty good price. 2. my house is made of cotswold stone, so it would match up nicely.

But im still unsure. David's reply gives me hope, and if i washed it all before putting it down (to get rid of the dust that it comes with initially) then maybe it would be ok. But then other places ive seen online say to avoid it, so im still not sure. It would be dreadful if i lost all my favourite plants...

Granite is a nice idea, i could get some nice red granite perhaps, would cost abit more about £100 as apposed to £60 for the cotswold stone.

Dan, its reasuring that you used white marble and havent had any problems. I am leaning toward cotswold stone, but im still not sure...