Old 17-05-2012, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Bumble bee mites

In article 8abab327-0113-4b4d-ada0-
,
says...

On May 16, 12:37*am, Janet wrote:
* I found a large sodden bumble bee struggling in the pond, fished it out
and put it in the sun to dry off. As it dried it kept wiping itself with
its middle legs; then I realised it was trying in vain to rub off small
live mites; it had a dozen or more crawling around on its back.

* *Are these varroa? Or do bumble bees get different mites?

* *Janet

Now if it had been a Welsh bumble bee then it would have had webed
feet and waterwings.

I can tell you it wasn't much of a swimmer.

Janet.