Old 18-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Mr Worms SW Mr Worms SW is offline
Banned

Location: Herefordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Price View Post
Still at the begining of my veg gardening, and am now looking at the
issue of composting. Googling yields a variety of
opinion/advice/equipment. At the risk of getting a thousand different
opinions, what is the "lived" experience here?

For the structure of a compost heap I've seen plastic bins galore,
wood-panel boxes with and without front removal, suggestions for
containing it in a wire fence etc etc. My local council flogs 330Litre
plastic bins for £19.

Whichever structure you use, there are products to add to them, with
conflicting advice about whether they are needed. Likewise there are
different views on whether to keep mixing the content or not, and
whether you need a special tool to do that with or not.

Why isn't life simple??!!!

In my garden the most consistent matter is a lot of lawn cuttings on a
weekly basis, then periodic hedge trimmings from a fair amount of
privet and Leylandii, lots of Autumn leaves and sporadic stuff from two
ponds. Then there is the household waste. I can easily get rid of
excess amounts of lawn stuff into the council bins for garden waste.

There is also a question mark in my mind about the economics of this.
If I were to buy a plastic bin or the materials to make a wooden one,
how much would I save overall as opposed to buying compost from the
council (after giving them all my garden waste to make it!!).

All views welcomed - many thanks

JIP

--
Hi,

I hope that I can offer you some advice via our website Mr Worms South West Wormery on the bottom left hand side you will find information pages about composting, composters and what system could be best for you.
If you have any questions about this or future dilemmas then please feel free to get in touch.

Kind regards

Paul
Mr Worms South West Wormery