Old 18-05-2012, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default As Birds Are Not OT

On 18 May 2012 09:12:27 GMT, wrote:

Jake wrote:
Baby finch stayed on hand as I stood to see half a dozen of them
pecking at the bird table. Not an adult in sight. I moved my hand to

Call social services!

Sometimes you really feel privileged that nature has decided to give
you a bit of a boost. Ah! The innocence of youth! No doubt that baby
finch will fly a mile if I walk out into the garden in a couple of
weeks' time. But something in me says wouldn't it be wonderful if it
recognised me and landed in my hair again.

Maybe it'll come and sing to you each night. Of course, your hair is
probably full of birdypoo now.

I spotted a woodpecker hopping about on the grass outside yesterday.
I don't think I've ever seen one before, certainly not on the ground
and so close, perhaps at a distance in a tree! This was about, ooh,
3m away? Just hopping about ... Nick said it was probably eating his
bees.

No birdypoo in hair. Surprisingly, there is never any birdypoo on or
around the bird table except when starlings visit - they crap on
everything including the seed in the bird table. I've had a camera in
my pocket all day today but no babies visiting. They must be camera
shy.

We've got a great spotted woodpecker that visits a few times a day to
get at the peanut feeders but some woodpecker species are ground
feeders.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.