Old 18-05-2012, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default As Birds Are Not OT

Dave Hill wrote:
I spotted a woodpecker hopping about on the grass outside yesterday.
I don't think I've ever seen one before, certainly not on the ground
and so close, perhaps at a distance in a tree! ?This was about, ooh,
3m away? ?Just hopping about ... Nick said it was probably eating his
bees.

If it was a green woodpecker then it was in it's normal feeding place,
they are ground feeders.

Yes, but it isn't its normal feeding place to eat off the ground /in
my front garden/. Or at least I didn't think so, my neighbour says she
has seen him before. She obviously looks out of the window earlier than
me.