Old 19-05-2012, 06:35 AM
black eyed susi black eyed susi is offline
Registered User

Hi

I have just joined this forum with a story of a Busy lizzie i had as i was growing up in the 70s..
I have searched high and low for one..But no joy... To cut a long story short its my mum that mentioned it she is in her 80s and it would make her day if i could get her one.
Many thanx for reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioturbation View Post
Hello ,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me .

This is the story of my pet plant .

When I was a 7 year old , I was given a bizzie Lizzie by my teacher . Every day I would come home after school and pull the plant out to see if the roots had grown. Luckily the plant survived this torture , and has been my pet plant for 42 years . Every photo taken since then always has my lizzie lurking in the background somewhere . When it was looking straggly , we would take a cutting and grow it on , so its a bit like Triggers broom , same broom but has had 12 heads and 24 new handles .

However , I have noticed that over the past few years that none of the cuttings are showing any of their lovely pink flowers anymore . We still get the sugar on the stems , and the plant seems healthy enough , but no flowers .

She seems to not like too much water , so I wait until her leaves start to wilt before watering , and she doesn't like the sun to strong . If I put some cuttings outside , the leaves get very small and very green , but still no
flowers . We have put new cuttings in compost , fed with miracle grow but still no flowers .

I'm not a gardener , but I am very fornd of my Lizzie and I was wondering if anybody could tell me why she is not flowering anymore .

Is it possible that her DNA is being weakened by continually growing on from the original plant ?

Many Thanks

Nigel