Old 19-05-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Elder Tree: Pollarded or Butchered?

On May 19, 2:04*pm, Jungle Jake
wrote:
Hi All,

I live in a rented house which until recently had a lovely 12ft
Elderflower tree growing at the bottom of the garden - that was until
the landlord decided that it was overgrown and needed to be pruned. Fair
enough I thought, until to my horror when I came home from work one day
last week to find the tree has been chopped back to nothing more than a
stump.

The tree is now 'leaking' what I presume to be watery sap (quite
copiusly) from the trunk/branches where it has been cut. I'm unsure what
I should do as I have read somewhere that a tree 'sealant' should be
painted on the tree to stop it bleeding and defend against disease -
though the RHS website states they no longer advise using sealants or
bandaging, so I don't know whether I should just leave the tree to heal
naturally, but I am worried that if don't do anything it might die.

Please help.

Jungle Jake

--
Jungle Jake

Don't worry it will grow again with a vengence.