Old 20-05-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_3_] Pete C[_3_] is offline

Default Trapping squirrels

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:03:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
. ..
I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel within
10
minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill
the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame houses
and
damaging plants and trees.

A pest control company will charge to destroy them but this
incredibly
involves clubbing the poor buggers to death having placed them in a
sack.
Doesn't sound right to me. A local vet will charge a consultation fee
plus
other charges to humanely destroy a caught squirrel - about £60.

I've been told that you can't release them once caught. But what harm
would it do to release a squirrel in a local forest miles away from
anyone
where there are already thousands - probably millions - of the
critters?
I'm not saying there is no harm just asking for an understanding of
what
it is.
No you cannot release a grey squirrel once you have caught one, as it
is
non-native animal. It's illegal.
Once you trap something, you have to have a plan how to deal with it.
If
you cannot bear to dispatch them yourself, hire a person who will.
I had to do this with the foxes that kept killing my chickens. I got
foxman
in. He was quite happy for them to meet his rifle in the catch-alive
trap.
In my chicken run.

What did he charge for this service? (I have a verbal quote and it
isn't cheap!)

Happily, he charged zero, nothing, as he hates foxes as he had a big hit
from them himself just before I did.
It can be expensive, what have you been quoted?
I think he liked me, as he also did for the rats for no charge.

Mmmm, fluttering eyelids works wonders
Pete C

I did not do that and never would.
Can we get back to the quoted charge? I want to know what it is.

My apologies if I upset you, I did wink.
Pete C