Old 21-05-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith Cunningham[_3_] Keith Cunningham[_3_] is offline

Default Mushroom identity

"echinosum" wrote in message
Ragnar;959329 Wrote:
"Ragnar" wrote in message
...-

The sample is rather small but it looks to me like Coprinus comatus
(Shaggy Ink Cap) not fully grown.
Very tasty fried in a little butter.
R.-

I just realised what I said - of course do not eat it until you have
definitely confirmed the ID.
:-(
R.

I see that there is a C comatus shown growing in a plant pot on the R
Phillips page, so perhaps this is where the idea this might be C Comatus
is coming from, but it really doesn't look like it to me.

But before advising people to eat C comatus, you need to say a bit more.
Because of chemical changes occuring after it is picked, you have to
cook it within 4 hours of picking. Also must not be eaten after gills
hvae started to blacken. Also it contains chemicals that react with
alcohol, so you mustn't drink alcohol within a period of eating it,
though some people get away with it.

--
echinosum

The common ink cap, coprinus atramentarius, is the one you don't want to be
mixing with alcohol.

KeithC