Old 22-05-2012, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default cheapest plant food

wrote in message ...

In article ,
D. T. Green wrote:

What is the cheapest fertiliser to get hold of at the moment? We wouldn't
mind buying bigger boxes than the ones that go to local shops, although
obviously we dont want it on a commercial scale. Thanks.

/Well, the cheapest fertiliser is that which you produce yourself :-)
/
/But you can almost certainly get 10-25 Kg sacks of generic NPK
/very cheaply if you chase around. Try Tuckers Seeds or LBS.

I use NPK 13:13:13 from the local farm supplier. I don't dig it into the
soil. It's 90% water soluble, so it gets diluted 100g of NPK to 5 litres of
water. So a 20kg sack lasts me about 2 years on the allotment.
I prefer to remove the watering can rose, which helps to prevent leaf splash
and also avoids the rose holes getting blocked.
Everything gets a fortnightly feed.